Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Getting creative with STEEL CUT OATS

Holla out to my friend, Linda Root, from Bone Gap IL! She's been following the blog and had some great suggestions for steel cut oats. I love them but honestly can't squeeze in the cooking time on a busy morning (when I've overslept as usual):

"I thought I'd also pass along a tip for cooking your steel cut oats that I use all the time. Aren't they just the best? You can cook them in the crockpot....1 cup oats to 4 cups water or I've read apple juice is good too. Add in any spices that you like and a dash of salt.....add any fruit (chopped apples, raisins, dried cranberries etc.) about 1/2 way in the cooking process. They should take about 3 hrs. on low. I do this on the week-ends and then divide them up in portions and they keep in the fridge for at least a week, sometimes even longer, depending on what I've added to them. Sugar-free Davinci Vanilla syrup is great mixed with them too! I've even added some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices once and they turned out really good!"

Crockpots rate in the top 5 of great inventions, in my book.

1 comment:

mixmom said...

Hey Michelle,
Thanks for the blog mention, hope you get a chance to try "crockpot oats", I think you'll love the convenience!