Tuesday, October 7, 2008

One leg on the wagon, one leg off...

Sorry I haven't written. I'm still not sure where my blog is going, but I really do want to keep writing. I felt terribly guilty (well, maybe just a little guilty) after a Homecoming weekend trip. I ate more bad stuff than I have in, obviously, weeks. I was rotten - a blooming onion was involved, which is like trans fat crack. It was almost like some creature was unleashed on Saturday. I was hungry the entire day and ate one thing after another.

Now it's an effort to get back on track. Since I couldn't shop at the Market over the weekend, I'm out of most of my fresh staples and just sort of getting by. I did pick up some free-range chicken from Schnuck's for fajitas the other night - $8.99/lb. While I am willing to pay extra to guarantee that the chickens were provided outdoor access and not treated cruelly, I think I could find less expensive options.

Here's an example - Sonrise Farms, located in Vermilion County, Illinois, approximately 25 miles northeast of Champaign-Urbana and 20 miles northwest of Danville. They sell beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and eggs directly to customers. The chicken: $2.25/lb.

Other great local farms selling their stuff (click on name to go to website):

First Fruits Produce - Mahomet

Moore Family Farm - Watseka

Tomahnous Farm - Mahomet

No comments: