Monday, September 8, 2008

12:45 and I'm still full!!

Wow...I cooked up a healthy serving of steel cut oats (purchased at Common Ground - $2 in clearance section) this morning, but was only able to eat half. You know how usually serving size is too small? I doubled their recommendation...should have stuck with it. I ate in in shifts, and now it's well past lunch and I'm still stuffed.

What are steel cut oats? Well, they're also known as Scotch oats, Irish porridge, or coarse-cut oats. They're unrolled oats that are cut into only two to three pieces. They're very thick and substantial; evn though they take a while to cook, they are still pretty chewy (in a good way) when they're done. You can cook them up in the evening, then reheat them in the morning.

Steel-cut oats are lightly processed. That means they probably still have most of their good stuff intact (fiber, nutrients, etc.).

Okay, it suddenly looks like it's going to storm, and I'm on the air. I'd better focus on the task at hand and come back later.

No comments: