Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Questions Answered


Well, I'm about 1/2way through The Farmer and Michelle. It's been quite a curiosity to people, who tend to ask similar questions - thought I could answer them in one place:

1. Has it been hard to eat this way? NOT AT ALL. The food is fresh and amazing and the variety is such that I can have all sorts of meals. I've deliberately tried to break out of my routines and demonstrate how many types of dishes are possible, using almost entirely market food. It's not hard in the least. The challenge?

2. How time-consuming is this lifestyle? To be honest, very. I make it more so than it would have to be, but you know that cooking things from scratch takes time, PERIOD. I could try to be more simple, but again - I'm making huge efforts to be creative and I'm pretty obsessed overall. If I'd started out as a better cook, I wouldn't spend so much time researching and pondering every day's diet. I truly enjoy the time spent cooking, though - it's relaxing and fulfilling when you're not in a hurry. Nights like last night are really stressful, though. I understand that's why most people don't cook like this anymore.

The most time-consuming part? Washing dishes!!! It's insane, actually. : )

3. Have you lost weight, because you aren't snacking or eating processed foods? I don't think so; in fact, I worried for a while that I would GAIN weight because I'm eating so much!! I just can't go crazy with the bacon or butter or bread...but avoiding sugars and trans fats and hydrogenated stuff balances it out.

4. Do you feel better? Aren't you craving junk food? Yeah, I really do feel better. I usually eat well so some changes weren't drastic - I always do whole wheat pasta, turkey burger, etc. I think the biggest difference is that I'm eating healthy, substantial meals almost every time, so I'm not hungry every couple hours. If I do get hungry, I'll eat an apple or piece of zucchini bread (mmmm...critical). Because of that, I don't have cravings. I just don't think about it. Now when you put a plate of cheese fries RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, I may buckle a little. lol But I'm honestly not thinking about how I can gorge myself after The Farmer and Michelle ends.

5. Is it financially feasible to live this way? People who don't shop at the Market would be surprised to find that many foods are comparably priced or even cheaper than their counterparts in the grocery store. The fruits and vegetables couldn't be more fresh - many of them were picked the day before. (Ever wondered why tomatoes in the store are often pale and hard? They were picked too early and shipped hundreds of miles, if not more.)



Some things at the Market are more expensive, yes - like meat. But you're getting fresh cuts that come from grass-fed animals raised in a humane environment. You don't have to worry about hormones or pesticides or the cruelty that may have been exacted toward those creatures. It tastes sooooooooo good, too. I understand that some people feel they can't afford to spend more than they do, but I argue that budgeting and some shifting of priorities would allow for the slightly higher cost. I bought a 4-pk of huge polish sausages for $4...what I would've paid for one value meal at a fast food restaurant. My dozen farm-fresh brown eggs were $3.75, less than an omelette at almost any greasy spoon. Oberweiss milk is $4 a half-gallon; how much was that little bottle of water or fancy chain-store coffee? I'm not saying I plan on giving up splurges here and there, but the point is valid.

When people gripe that organic or locally-grown food costs too much, they fail to consider all the work that goes into it. Have you ever picked blueberries? I spent an hour at Pontious Farm in Monticello in 90-degree summer heat, and got about 1.5 lbs (and a few Japanese beetles). They were awesome and I had fun, but I worked for them. These farmers toil to bring you the freshest and most beautiful produce I've ever seen, driving their products to the market and burning up outrageously-priced gas. They deserve every penny they earn and more, and again - their prices are definitely comparable.




I really think that shopping locally is feasible, especially if you plan and do the research. You may not be able to afford everything, but you could certainly start out buying a little here and there. Gradually, you may figure out ways to add more local stuff to your diet, and I promise you that you'll feel great on many levels.

I've never been into shopping and I'm a beginner cook, but I'm having a blast at the Market. Give it a shot this Saturday...maybe you'll come home with an eggplant.

No comments: