Friday, September 26, 2008

"Be the change you seek in your world." —Gandhi

Here I sit, as the last day of TFAM unwinds. I'm on the couch in my PJs, which I put on at like 6:00 - yes, on a Friday night. Sometimes that's just heavenly. It was the week from %&#@ and I couldn't wait to sit alone on the couch tonight and read, write, and watch the debates. They're on right now, but my attention is only half-hearted at best. I thought I'd be totally into it, but I feel mentally fatigued by news and politics right now. I'm just glad that when I checked my bank account a few minutes ago, the money was still there. These days, you can never be quite sure.

For the past three weeks, I have lived on $100 (less, really) per week on the freshest, tastiest, and healthiest food possible. The $20 left from those three weeks will go with me to the Market tomorrow, as I continue shopping and promoting local/seasonal eating on my own. I could have done it on less money, really; with even smarter planning I believe two people could've lived on that budget. I enjoyed more meat than I would typically eaten, improved my cooking by making some true staples of home cooking, and never EVER felt hungry. My mood was pretty constant even through a lot of stress due to a crazy schedule.

I read several books (referenced on the front page of the blog), learning more about localism, seasonal eating, sustainable agriculture, the blight of factory farms, the plight of family farms, the growing popularity of CSAs (community supported agriculture), organics, the impact of our food choices...etc etc. I've watched films like The Real Dirt on Farmer John and The Future of Food (genetic engineering). I still have several books and films on the way.

I immersed myself completely in all things food and agriculture, as is my personality - I can get a little obsessive. It really helped to get a view of the big picture, though, while dealing with my own small goals. In educating myself, I hope to pass along my knowledge and passion for these issues...without preaching too much. : ) I take after my father and find it all too easy to climb on a soapbox and rant.

I wasn't surprised to find that many people had never heard of a "locavore" and thought it must be a terribly difficult endeavor. But conversely, I've realized that there are many, many people who are searching for ways to make a difference in their lives and in the overall picture. They are making changes large and small, and every change helps. Those people are increasing in numbers and they're growing louder.

I'm not going to try to fool you or myself. As much as I'd love to eat seasonally and only buy organic and (as much as possible) local food, I know that it won't always be possible. Life, time, and financial constraints get in the way. I have my lazy spells and I can't pretend I love cooking enough to do it every single day. I appreciate and even crave convenience as much as anyone else. But I'm REALLY going to try to take the lessons I've learned and the habits I've formed beyond this last locavore night.

I plan to spend a little time thinking about my goals and then I'll write to express them. What I express NOW...my overwhelming gratitude to the City of Urbana, the vendors at the Market at the Square, and the Illini Radio Group. Thank you for allowing me this tremendous opportunity and the chance to be an ambassador for the locavore movement.

No comments: