Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How to make PESTO


Would you believe I'd never tried pesto til I moved to Champaign?!? I swear, how could I have even claimed to be alive????? My friend Stacey made fresh pesto with tortellini about a year ago and I was hooked forever.

Fresh is best. I made it for the first time last night, and doing so is much cheaper than buying those TINY bottles in the big store.

4 c. fresh basil leaves
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. pine nuts (I used walnuts that I had - several recipes suggested this cheaper option)
2-3 medium fresh garlic cloves (I went with 3)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1.5 tsp. kosher salt (may want to tone this down a bit)

Combine the bail, olive oil, nuts, and garlic cloves (I minced mine) in a blender or food processor.Blend until a paste forms, stopping to push down the ingredients when necessary. Add the cheese and salt, and blend til smooth.

Freeze sauce in ice cube trays if you'd like, then transfer to ziploc bags. (what a great idea to help with smaller portions/saving space!!)


No comments: