Saturday, September 20, 2008

Week Three begins...

So this morning was my final trip to the Market (for this adventure). I went early since I had to drive to my parents', and I'm glad I arrived when I did because the place was REALLY crowded today! I think the (failed?) promise of good weather contributed to that, as well as no football distractions.

Anyway, here's this week's list:

2 lbs. sirloin tip roast
1.16 lb. Italian lamb sausage (Country Cottage Farm)
dozen large brown eggs
Pasta Alley Zesty Italian chicken noodle soup mix
(includes noodles)
Zesty garlic sauce mix (like alfredo)
small package garlic and herb linguine
2 loaves Homestead Bakery bread (dill, oatmeal)
jar Kuntry Kitchen Country Garden Salsa
6 ears sweet corn (keep it in the husk til you cook it)
pie tin of Amish Country Bakery cinnamon rolls
bag peaches
bag Honeycrisp apples (the best EVER)
2 lbs. variety of heirloom tomatoes (brandywine, green zebra, etc)
small dark green striped seedless melon
2 cucumbers
2 red peppers
1 zucchini
bunch spinach
1/2 lb. salad mix
bunch basil


I think that's it - I'm out of town now and am relying on a rushed list written as we shopped. You'll notice that I only bought two kinds of meat. I still have plenty left from last week, probably because I ate so many salads! Running out of food on $100 is definitely not a problem - I eat constantly. I have $5 left for the week but carry over another $15 from the previous two, so I have plenty of cushion. I still need to buy a 1/2 gallon of milk, and should I need anything else it won't be a problem.

Fun Market sighting: my friend and local musician Angie Heaton, selling her wares next to a guy rocking out on the bass clarinet. She turns vintage belts into cool bracelets. I coveted them but alas, I certainly couldn't spend my food money on FASHION!!!

I brought the cinnamon rolls home for breakfast tomorrow - boy, they look outrageously good and downright sinful compared to my typical steel cut oats. : ) I also brought the melon, salsa, organic tortilla chips and cookies (from Strawberry Fields), and assorted fruit. Oh, and I packed leftover pasta and sauce for today's lunch and gave my folks two loaves of my zucchini bread. That is one of the best things about cooking - sharing with others.

I'm usually REALLY bad when I come home. As my parents have aged, they seem to eat more junk and convenience foods, and they go out for lunch and dinner A LOT. I used to be overweight and readily admit that the only way I avoid temptation is by keeping far away from bad stuff, so when I'm here and IT'S here, I eat like crazy. CRAZY. I'm actually sort of glad to have The Farmer and Michelle to keep me and my blood sugar in line.

I'm really tired from my 6am wake up call and the drive, so I plan a nap. That's a benefit of visiting with these senior citizens...there's always time for napping. : )

2 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

You said:
"... I plan a nap. That's a benefit of visiting with senior citizens...there's always time for napping. : )?"

Hey, I'm a senior citizen, 65 years old. I would take offense at that comment, but I can't right now because I feel a nap coming on.

Michelle Ryan said...

I would nap every day if I could squeeze it in, and haven't hit 40 yet. I might be able to see 40 on the horizon if my eyes weren't closed.