Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Failure...



I screwed up and wasted THREE EGGS...

I love hard-boiled eggs, and find them to be the perfect snack at work. Since I get hungry frequently and don't have the granola bars or crackers I ususally rely on between meals, I figured boiling a few of my farm-fresh eggs would be GREAT!

I followed my mom's method of egg boiling: put them in the water on the stove, and turn on the burner. When the water starts boiling rapidly, take the pot off and remove the eggs. Run them under cold water. Actually, I've only recently started instantly cooling the eggs, after reading that recommendation online somewhere. Maybe that was my downfall today...

When I got it out today to start peeling (and I've read that farm-fresh boiled eggs ARE hard to peel), my fingers went through the shell. It looked like the picture above, but messier.

I'm trying to find info about farm fresh eggs - do they take longer to boil for some reason? I did find some instructions online for boiling that contradict my final steps:

  • Bring your eggs to room temperature before cooking. If the egg has been stored in the refrigerator it can be warmed gently under a flowing hot tap water. By bringing the eggs to room temperature, they're much less likely to crack in the hot water and they take about 1 minute less to cook.
  • Gently place the eggs in a single layer in a pan with enough cold water to cover eggs completely. Over high heat, bring water JUST to a rapid boil. As soon as the water reaches a rapid boil, remove pan from heat and cover egg pan tightly with a lid.
  • Set timer for 17 minutes for large eggs or 20 minutes for jumbo eggs. After that time, remove from heat and drain off water from the eggs. Transfer the eggs to the bowl of ice cubes and cold water. Let eggs cool at least 10 minutes in cold water, then drain either store in refrigerator or peel the eggs
Would letting the eggs sit in the hot water longer after boiling have done the trick? Is there a special way to boil fresh farm eggs? I think I actually made a soft-boiled egg based on the picture above (which is supposedly a perfect example of THAT). All I know is that I'm disappointed and hungry.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think 17+ minutes is way too long to cook any egg. I have my own hens and cook hard boiled eggs frequently. Yes, they're a total pain to peel, but here's my method:

Put eggs in pot of cold water, bring to boil, remove from heat and cover the pot. Set timer for 8 minutes. Remove from water and put into ice cold water to slow the continued cooking. I actually now prefer more of a soft boiled egg with a slightly soft yolk, so only let them sit in the hot water for 5 minutes...they come out perfect every single time...whether straight from the fridge or from the chicken.

btw...found my way here via wordydiva (Lisa BK).

happy hard-boiling!

Michelle Ryan said...

Thanks, Kelly! I really appreciate your feedback. I'll try your method and see what happens. I don't suppose there's any way to "rescue" the two remaining eggs, is there? That makes me sound cheap and silly, I guess. I had enough money left to buy another dozen, anyway.

Glad to have you along! : ) Please pass along any other ideas.