Monday, September 15, 2008

Back on Track!

The basement is dry and I've gotten my focus back on the matter at hand - vegetables!! I was up super early to make sure things were fine downstairs, so I had plenty of time to make some buckwheat pancakes. You'd think with their consistency that they'd fill me up til lunch, but I'm a serious grazer. I had a mid-morning apple with Co-op peanut butter, and just REALLY ENJOYED a huge fresh salad - spinach, tomatoes, green pepper, and cucumber. Topped off with some Newman's Own caesar dressing, it was perfection. Not as low-calorie as it could've been...but a girl's gotta splurge a little!!

I'm excited to try some of Triple S's deli-sliced ham on Amish bread in a little bit. It's nice to have a sandwich option, and the ham really looks fantastic. Toss some spinach and tomato on the bread, add a little chevre, and I'll be good to go!

Thanks to Lisa, who in her comment yesterday suggested a great recipe for swiss chard. I don't know that I'd ever seen it before Saturday - this is what rainbow chard looks like. Beautiful, eh?


Here's the recipe:

Cut off stalks (can eat them, cut in small pieces)
Chop the greens
Sautee slices of onion and couple cloves of garlic in olive oil
Throw in greens along with salt and pepper
Cook on medium heat for "maybe 10 minutes"
In bowl, dress greens with lemon juice and a bit more oil





No comments: