Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Overwhelmed but definitely NOT underfed!

Even though I've written every day, I feel like I have SO many things to tell you that I can't keep up. As I was typing that, I had to stop to run to the stove - my eggs from Triple S Farm (certified organice vendor) were boiling!! I feel like the best way to truly discover the difference in a farm-fresh egg is to try one hard-boiled. Don't get me wrong; they were AMAZING in my omelette this morning. I added lots of yummy stuff, though, so the flavor was a bit masked. True to form, the color was a deep yellowish orange. If you buy a farm-fresh egg and wonder if there's something wrong with it because it looks so different...no, that's how it's supposed to be.

Let's talk about my breakfast:

3 strips fresh bacon (also from Triple S)
2 eggs
green peppers
onions
chevre (goat cheese) - the mildest flavor, goes well with lots of stuff

My huge omelette was topped with fresh homemade pico de gallo (I'll include the recipe in a future post). Wow!! I enjoyed every bite and was stuffed til like 11:30.

I snacked on some blueberries (my 80-something aunt and uncle brought them back from a grower in MI and gave me 14 lbs - I have to eat them!).

Lunch was a PB&J, market-style: two slabs of honey wheat bread from Homestead Bakery in Arthur, natural (unsweetened) PB from Common Ground, and blueberry jam from my friend, Bettina. I'd taken some Oberweiss milk to drink, but forgot about it - I have to go back to work tonight so maybe that'll be my evening snack out there.

Dinner: I was super hungry as usual, but filled up quickly on a big turkey burger with bacon, goat cheese, and pico. I had two ears of corn on the side but only ate 1/2 before I truly was full. Saved 'em for later. I really am a grazer, so eating a little bit every few hours is best for me.

Here's a little bit about Triple S Farm:

Triple S Farm is a 200-acre farm where they raise pork, beef, lamb, chicken and duck with an all vegetarian diet. The animals graze on organic pastures. The 800 hens produce farm-fresh eggs.
Produce includes a wide variety of potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet corn, carrots, beets, peppers, turnips, watermelon, cantaloupe, popcorn, edamame (tofu beans), asparagus, cloves and hard red wheat. The Schutte family invites people to visit the farm for a tour or a camp out at the pond.

Triple S is located in Stewardson (south central IL), a very rural area where the nearest town boasts a population of 50.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so awesome! My family is sooo into the local food too, and we seriously buy 99.99999999 percent of our food at the farmers' markets around here. (My baby brother loves bananas, which totally don't grow in NC.) Anyway, I'm starting a blog soon about how great local food is. It's not up and running yet, but it's going to be at "veggiesgocrunch.com" if you want to check it out. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!