Saturday, September 27, 2008

Apples are HEAVY

TFAM is officially over, yes. I was up early today, though, reveling in the fantastic weather as I rode my bike to the Market. I thought - you aren't buying $100 worth of stuff, so your backpack will do. But $20 will still buy a lot, so it was a semi-painful ride back home (about 25 min) with what felt like a small child sitting on my neck. Oh, it was worth it.

1/2 peck gala apples (last week for Roth Farms - LOVE those guys)
3 green peppers
2 red peppers
2 HUGE sweet onions ($1 each, again from Roth)
loaf honey wheat Amish Country Bakery Bread
small bottle apple cider vinegar from Co-op

What am I forgetting? There was something else. I was bummed that I couldn't buy any free-range eggs, but I didn't dare shove those in my increasingly-bulging backpack. My goal is to find that label on eggs as often as I can, but that's not easy because only a small number of farmers allow birds access to the outdoors and the grass they love so much. Most of the time it's easiest to find eggs from "cage-free" hens. It's wonderful that they aren't living their lives in ridiculously small, cramped cages...but some may never leave the barn or be provided straw or grass. So much to learn!

I got home and stretched my back and neck for a while, then made some garlic herb linguine with fresh pesto. No, I didn't rush off to buy something tasty from a fast food restaurant because I "can" today. Maybe later, maybe not. I have hours of painting to do at home and I might be too hungry upon completion to fix the oven-fried chicken I'm intending to bake. We'll see.

No comments: