Thursday, September 11, 2008

The week is winding down...

...and I still have quite a bit of food. I wanted to knock out a pound of frozen turkey burger, so I decided to try a meatloat. Mix resident chef Sarah Addison assured me that turkey would work well in a loaf (that word...ugh), and gave me her recipe:

Sarah's Loaf
1 lb. ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. bread crumbs
diced onion
garlic
salt and pepper

Cook at 350 degrees for 50-60 min.

I ate it with brown gravy and it was AWESOME!!! I may have liked turkey better than regular meatloaf. Also made my final two ears of sweet corn and ate one. I realize that I've stretched the corn out waaaaay too long. Ideally, corn should be eaten within a day or two after being picked. Leave ears in the husk til you're ready to use them. I did that, but I've had these last two ears for six days now...they held up pretty well, but I was pushing it. The corn season is winding down; I had to try to eat as much as I could in a week!!!

It's Thursday, and I have a comfortable amount of food left. Tomorrow night I'm going to make spare ribs from Triple-S in the crock pot, with BBQ sauce from Kuntry Kettle in Ava. If you've been to the market, you know the guy with the big Santa Claus beard and the honey sticks (for lack of a better term). He was just the coolest last Saturday! We chatted in depth about "The Farmer and Michelle" as I picked out a bottle of honey BBQ sauce. His sauce is made by Amish folk; he makes his own honey. I can't wait to talk to him again on Saturday, although I won't need to buy any of either just yet.

Still have an eggplant that fills up most of the top shelf in my fridge, too. Does that go with ribs? lol - just kidding! Some fresh cornbread sure will, though!!!

No comments: